Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Journey of Young Life

I know I have been a stranger more than I would like on this little blog. I have been so incredibly busy this semester with school, job applications and designing morganalexandra.com. I would definitely appreciate y'alls prayers for peace about the future and knowing that He has it all under control!
I wanted to share a little more about myself today. We're going to take it back eight years ago. My freshman year of high school I was invited to a thing called Young Life by one of my friends, Laura, who was a senior. So needless to say, I felt super cool. I did not know this at the time but Young Life is a non-denominational Christian ministry that reaches out to high school students by being present in their lives in a positive and encouraging way.

Young Life was held at another seniors house in the notoriously wealthy neighborhood and seemed to be a great place to have fun and hang out with friends. Even though I had no idea what Young Life was really about, I continued to go and I continued to have a girl from Davidson College asking me to hang out, which at the time I thought was super odd (and now having been that college student asking high schoolers to hang out... it's hilarious!).

After the seniors graduated, we combined with our rival high school in a mutual territory. I started to invite one of my best friends at that rival high school who I have known my entire life, Matt Powell. Eventually, the Lake Norman/Mooresville Young Life ended but that would not be the end of Young Life for Matt!
Matt and I both ended up at North Carolina State University for college. I was immediately brought back to Young Life and it would end up being the reason why I did not transfer away from NCSU. I always invited Matt but he would find his own way to Young Life a little bit later on in our college career. 

Friends, last night Matt gave his first Young Life talk!! I was only able to get five minutes of the talk because of a low battery but five minutes is long enough to see his HEART for the Lord and for sharing that love with others. This ministry has incredible power to meet people wherever they are in life and love them through the ups and downs. I am so thankful to all the friends I have made through Young Life and how they are changing others lives!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment